Minimalism often brings about thoughts of bare rooms in a household where only the absolute essentials are purchased. As I began decluttering this is the image that I had fallen in love with and kept striving for. However as time has gone by the image in my head has evolved into my own version of simple living. It’s become more and more about reusing and repurposing the things that we already have, as well as making more eco-friendly decisions.
We still try our best to live with less clutter (although to be honest it’s been a challenge lately). But we also acknowledge that it’s okay to hold on to some things that we know we will reuse in the near future. A few things that we’ve been repurposing recently are:
- Glass Jars: These can be used for so many different things! I love to use them as vases, to store homemade dressings and sauces, as well as to hold bathroom essentials such as cotton balls and/or q-tips.
- Old T-Shirts: We’ve loved using cut up pieces of t-shirt in the garden to help stake our plants! You can also make t-shirt yarn if you’re feeling crafty (for me, this resulted in a homemade rug that I still have mixed feelings about…). If you’re not into that idea try making a cute produce bag!
- Compostable Food Scraps: This one is pretty self-explanatory but we save these and add them to our compost bin. Certain things such as banana peels, coffee grounds and eggshells can also be used to make homemade fertilizer for your plants!
- Grocery Bags: These are so easy to save after coming home from the store! We like to reuse these as gift bags/wrapping paper, or just to help carry things over to a friend or family members house. However, there are so many other ways to repurpose grocery bags! Check this post out for some ideas (I would love to try making my own journals!)
- Plastic Containers: With all of our recent gardening adventures we’ve been saving small containers to reuse for starting seeds. We also save and reuse our seed starting trays, as well as any nursery pots from previously purchased plants!
- Paper Towel & Toilet Paper Rolls: These make great cat toys! If I use a paper towel roll I make sure to cut it into three shorter sections so that we get more use out of it. You can also use them for things like storing cords, or starting seeds.
- Soap Dispensers: We’ve been purchasing the larger soap refills for a while now, but I noticed that I was still buying the dispensers more often than I needed to. Now I’ve been re-using our soap dispensers until they’re no longer functional and have been thinking about using glass jars with a dispenser attachment in the future!
I would love to hear what you are reusing and repurposing at home- leave me a comment below 🙂 As always, if you enjoyed this post I would be so grateful if you would share it with others!